RUSH Generations is a free membership program that promotes health and longevity and is open to adults of all ages, regardless of where they receive their medical care. We help our members in person, online and over the phone. Our services allow members to do the following:
- Become aware of new health information and community resources
- Learn strategies to improve quality of life
- Provide support to family members and friends as they age
- Stay focused on achieving personal goals
RUSH Generations Members have access to the following:
- Free lectures and workshops on health and aging-related topics
- Fitness and wellness classes
- One-on-one technology consultation to help you stay socially connected
- Support and education groups
- Access to free, educational online modules on Normal Aging, Managing Multiple Chronic Conditions, Working in Teams and Dementia and a 4Ms brochure in English and Spanish
- A quarterly newsletter in the mail
- A monthly e-mail newsletter
- Parking validation for programs offered on our main campus
- Scholarship opportunities for fee-based classes
- Access to our toll-free help line and information service
- Access to our two resource centers at Rush University Medical Center
Lifelong Learning Opportunities
RUSH Generations takes pride in its high-caliber lectures, workshops and classes. With input from members, we develop a quarterly calendar of health promotion programs — including individual lectures and workshops spanning several weeks — that are tailored to member interests and health concerns.
Popular topics include the following:
- Treatments and advances in medical issues affecting older adults, such as heart disease and arthritis
- Ways to maximize memory
- Family and caregiver education
- Mind-body wellness and relaxation
- Daily management of health and well-being
If you are caring for a relative or friend, RUSH Generations can be a valuable resource for you. We provide a range of specialized services for caregivers, including support groups, workshops and referrals to helpful services in the community. Join RUSH Generations today to take advantage of this unique, comprehensive resource.
Have a question? Call us at (800) 757-0202.
Being involved in RUSH Generations also opens doors to meaningful volunteer opportunities. Our volunteers contribute their time to various administrative, promotional and organizational activities. They can receive training to become leaders of our health management workshops, including A Matter of Balance, Take Charge of Your Health and Take Charge of Your Diabetes. Volunteers may also dedicate their time to the annual Community Health Mentor Program by participating as a Mentor to health students.
To learn more about volunteering, call (800) 757-0202.
Become a Member
Membership is free and open to adults of all ages. Once you become a member, you will receive a welcome packet of member-exclusive information and health management tools. You will also start receiving our quarterly RUSH Generations newsletter, calendar of events, and monthly e-mail updates.
You can become a member by signing up online, calling (800) 757-0202 or sending an e-mail to RUSH_generations@RUSH.edu.
RUSH Generations Evidence-Based Programs
RUSH Generations offers several evidence-based programs, which means that researchers have found that the strategies used in these programs can be effective. Here are a few examples:
- Take Charge of Your Health and Take Charge of Your Diabetes: Offered in English and Spanish, these workshops provide the support needed toward achieving better health and effective self-management behaviors. These two-and-a-half hour, six-week workshops meet once a week to teach you the self-management skills necessary for the day-to-day management of chronic health conditions, such as goal setting, problem solving, healthy communication, assertiveness training, pain management, medication management, nutrition and exercise.
- Learning to Live Well with Chronic Pain (Chronic Pain Self-Management): A six-week workshop for people living with chronic pain. Participants engage in discussions and skill-building activities to better cope with the day-to-day management of chronic pain. All sessions incorporate an exercise element and strategies for medication management, pacing activity and rest, etc.
- Cancer: Thriving and Surviving: This is a six-week supportive workshop for those who are both currently in cancer treatment or in remission. Topics relevant to both physical and emotional health as a cancer survivor are discussed, such as nutrition, healthy communication, coping with uncertainty, setting priorities, decision-making, and evaluating treatment options.
- Matter of Balance: This workshop is for adults who have restricted their social or physical activity because of a fear of falling. This two-hour workshop meets for eight sessions. It focuses on confidence building through exercise, cognitive restructuring, assertiveness training and problem solving. The overall goal: to help participants return to higher social and physical activity levels.
- Tai Chi for Arthritis and Fall Prevention: Originating from China, this practice helps improve concentration, balance and range of motion with slow, fluid movements to promote calmness and a balanced mind. It may also increase circulation and reduce arthritis pain.
RUSH Generations Classes
RUSH Generations offers classes that build skills as well as a healthier body and mind. Here are few examples:
- Embracing Aging: This gentle aerobic exercise class is designed to improve muscle strength, range of movement, balance, and activities for daily living. A chair is used for seated exercises and standing support. Exercise modifications will be provided.
- Gentle Chair Yoga: This yoga class is designed to increase flexibility and range of motion, improve balance and strengthen the body. Yoga has been shown to relieve pain, stiffness and sore joints. Modifications will be provided.
Special Classes (Offered Once a Year)
- Art for Emotional Wellness: This course incorporates various forms of art and expression to foster emotional wellness. This class is designed and implemented by Arts in Healthcare students at Columbia College for their Senior Capstone project; therefore, topics and mediums vary from year to year, but can include fine art, dance and movement, music, improv, poetry, and others.
- Mindfulness 101: This four-session class teaches participants simple mindfulness skills to improve self-awareness and ability to manage daily stresses or cope with chronic conditions.
Health Legacy Program for Women
This 12-session group is offered over the course of six week and is specifically for women of color who want to improve their lifestyle and their families’ lifestyle. This group covers emotional support, exercise, healthy cooking, and nutrition in a supportive environment. It is offered in English and Spanish.
RUSH Generations knows how important it is to bring people together who are experiencing similar circumstances and garner strength from one another. Here are a few examples:
- Diabetes Support Group
- Friends and Family of People with Memory Loss Support Group
- Chronic Pain Support Group
RUSH Generations Screenings
RUSH Generations is dedicated to helping members maintain their health by offering annual health screenings as well as screenings related to planning for the future. The following screenings are offered throughout the year.
- Advance Directives
- Balance and Fall Prevention
- Medication review